Asian,British Columbia,Canada,Cuisine,Korean,Vancouver

Nor Boo Korean, Robson Street, Vancouver

31 Jul , 2011

After taking in a healthy dose of sun, Stanley Park Brewery beer and music, Daniel Stef and I met up with Jeff and Caitlin for dinner. We were all hungry, but none of us wanted to pay festival prices for the food at Summer Live, so I suggested we try out Gyoza King. No dice.. it was busy and there were lineups outside at only 7pm. Okaaay…Norboo was just down the street.

Norboo-06.jpg

Complimentary Banchan 반찬 that was decent, and refilled when requested. I suggest not eating any of that pasta salad..it’s obviously not Korean, and was so loaded with mayonnaise.

Norboo-01.jpg

Disappointing Seafood Pancake (Haemul Pajeon 해물파전).

Norboo-02.jpg

Look at that…..so frigging small.

Norboo-03.jpg

Jap Chae 잡채 with pork.

Norboo-04.jpg

AYCE Beef Hot pot $13.95 per person.

Norboo-05.jpg

While the food was decent, it was the service that really put us off. We could have ate a lot more to take advantage of the AYCE, but each subsequent platter that came out was smaller and smaller, slowly missing items as time progressed. It was the time spent waiting that allowed us to become full, not the food.

If you like to play the waiting game, have a go at it.

Nor Boo Korean on Urbanspoon

Related Posts with Thumbnails

8 Responses

1. Janice says:

Maybe your hand is just really big in comparison to the seafood pancake!! Hahaha

• Kevin Wu says:

Well you know what they say about big hands……

big gloves!

What, you were thinking something else? Gotta keep this blog somewhat PG now… :P

(Actually not my hand, it’s Jeff’s, but seriously, it was a small pancake..)

• Janice says:

Right after I posted that I KNEW something was gonna be said about my comment hahaha

And yeah, it does look pretty small, if you compare the saucer in the middle. Unless that saucer was huge too… haha

2. Andrea says:

I find with Norboo the service always gets commented on. It’s a VERY Korean place…feels like you’re right back in Seoul. Therefore, to get service (as with anywhere in Korea) you have to signal the waitress. Notice, most other Koreans will be doing this and not just waiting for the server to come check on them. “Yogiyo!” is Korean for “here” and will attract attention. Alternatively “ajuma” would also work (providing the server isn’t young and IS female – otherwise you’ll be embarassed). ;)

• Kevin Wu says:

I picked up on chogiyo from Ellie, that’s about it. Still, it’s not a very Westerner thing to do to ask for the server to come check so often, and I think our problem was only compounded due to our seating out on the patio partially hidden from view. I’m not brave enough to say ajuma haha.

3. Anonymous says:

hey Kevin :) thanks for the review – i hear mostly negative things about this place and having you write about it solidifies it. have you tried damso? i’m curious to see if that’s a good place!

• Kevin Wu says:

• Hm… never heard of Damso. Current go to places for Korean for me would include Base [suprisingly decent for a mostly drink forward place] and Chung Dam Anh. Still have to try Gyoza King as well. Though that’s not really Korean, well, it’s Korean/Japanese.